Re: Is anyone using woody in a production environment?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:32:49AM -0500, Roderick Cummings wrote:

> Only that the new 2.4 kernel-image wont mount my root partition:
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
> Kernenl Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>
> Even though lilo.conf specifies the correct root= option, and fstab is
> correct as well.

I experienced the same problem repeatedly on every box I tried to
install the 2.4 kernel-image debs.  Other people I talked to didn't have
the same problem.  It's because the new kernels are initrd.

Rather than read up on mkinitrd, I think it's easier to just download
the kernel source and compile your own kernel.  But that's just me.