gphoto2 with USB digital camera problem

I bought a digital still-image camera today (Canon PowerShot G2) and I
want my Linux machine to talk to it. So far, after a few hours of trying
to get it to work, and searching docs and the net for information, I'm
not having much luck.

I have the gphoto2 package installed. gphoto2 complains that it can't
find the device:

$gphoto2 --camera "Canon PowerShot G2" --port usb: --get-all-images
gPhoto2 reported the error 'Could not find the requested device on the USB port'

Meanwhile, in /var/log/messages, I see the following occurring every
time I turn the camera on while it's plugged into the USB port:

kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x4a9/0x3055) is not claimed by any active driver.

So it seems there is no driver installed that knows what to do with
this camera. What driver is needed, and where do I get it?

I am, btw, running kernel 2.4.17 with USB support enabled (I have
successfully used a USB printer with it). Here are the kernel's USB
config settings:

CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=y

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer...

Craig