Re: why does a process gets killed?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:09:08PM +0100, Imre Vida wrote:
> this is what i put in there
> (these are the default values on my laptop
> without any data in /etc/security/limits.conf !!)
>
> *       hard    core    unlimited
> *       soft    core    0
> *       hard    data    unlimited
> *       hard    nofile  1024
> *       hard    cpu     unlimited
> *       hard    nproc   unlimited
> *       soft    nproc   256

> q1: where are the default values set?

In limits.conf, the 'soft' limits are the defaults and the 'hard'
limits are the maximum that a (non-priviliged) user can increase them
to.  So, for instance, the configuration you listed above will give
users a default limit of 256 processes (soft nproc 256) and you could
use ulimit -u to change that limit to be as high (or low) ar you want
(hard nproc unlimited).  Note that a process can reduce its hard
limit as well as its soft limit (but only the soft limit can be
increased).

> q2: what else do i have to do so that the values
> in /etc/security/limits.conf can take effect?

The limits.conf above gives you a hard limit of 'unlimited' for CPU
time, but the soft limit is left at whatever your shell defaults to.
(At least I assume that's where the default comes from...)  Try
`ulimit -t unlimited` and see if that does it for you.  Or, if you
want that to be the norm, add a line

*       soft    cpu     unlimited

to limits.conf.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss