Re: why does a process gets killed?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:58:50PM +0100, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:24:30PM +0100, Imre Vida wrote:
> > > Watch the kernel log /var/log/syslog, or
> > > Check resource limits (umlilit -a, ulimit -Sa), or
> > thanks, this is the problem
> > cpu time is set to 3600 s
> >
> > and now,  how on earth can i set this value?
>
> root can change this in /etc/security/limits.conf
yes, thanks
in the meantime i also found this file
and tried to re-set the limits, but does not seem
to work

this is what i put in there
(these are the default values on my laptop
without any data in /etc/security/limits.conf !!)

*       hard    core    unlimited
*       soft    core    0
*       hard    data    unlimited
*       hard    nofile  1024
*       hard    cpu     unlimited
*       hard    nproc   unlimited
*       soft    nproc   256

but when i log in (via ssh)
i got the following limits again
~$ ulimit -Ha
core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 20480
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 24
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) 3600
max user processes            (-u) 30
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

in the meantime i also upgraded that machine to woody
and compiled the 2.4.17 kernel but this does not change
anyting at all. i am absolutly lost...

q1: where are the default values set?

q2: what else do i have to do so that the values
in /etc/security/limits.conf can take effect?