Re: ext3 vs xfs

Edward Kear <ed@roundthebend.com> writes:

> I just received a 160 gb hard drive that I plan to partition as one
> big partition and mount as /home/public on the family file server
> (woody).  Most of the files in this directory are mp3, mpg, avi, etc.
>
> I've constructed a 2.4.16 kernel with the required ide patch and
> patched it to support xfs.  I've tested everything and it works, but I
> haven't put it into use yet.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on which file system to use?  ext3 or xfs?

I was using XFS and reiserfs on my nfs fileserver. Reiserfs is really
bad for nfs, but I still had one lightly-used reiserfs partition that I
was sharing via nfs (server running 2.4.16-xfs).

I was running into a problem with occasional kernel oopses and server
lockups when my wife's laptop unsuspended; the server would even lockup
on reboot as soon as knfsd was restarted unless I took the laptop off
the network. The linux-kernel mailing list intimated that it could be a
bug with xfs. Others pointed out that reiserfs as bad for nfs.

In the end, I migrated both the reiserfs and xfs filesystems to ext3,
and haven't seen any oops since. I can't say that xfs caused the problem
for sure, and I really do like xfs, but at this time, I only use
ext3. This is pure anecdotal evidence, so you can take it for whatever
you think it's worth.

Regards,

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! ..I must be a
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | VETERINARIAN..