Re: ext3 vs xfs

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:22:49 -0500
Edward Kear <ed@roundthebend.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any thoughts on which file system to use?  ext3 or xfs?

A bit of background; I used ReiserFS as my root partition(several gigs),
/home, and /var for about a year and a half. I've been using XFS for
about eight months or a year(since 2.4.0, at least). I have also used
ext3 on and off.

Right now I use XFS on all my workstations. I've had "issues" with
ReiserFS which I won't go into detail here, in order to avoid starting a
flamewar.

My laptops, however, use ext2 and ext3, since XFS requires rather more
resources(read: memory) than ext2, which resulted in out-of-memory
situations whenever I had a big dpkg run to do. I switched them to ext2,
and everything was fine.

However, XFS performed better. I'm positive about that. So assuming your
server has a decent amount of memory(the laptops in question only had
32M), you should be fine going with XFS.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \