Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.01.09.0118 +0100]:
> What does it take to setup an RBL domain?  My guess is that you just
> need a DNS server.

pretty much. to RBL an IP 1.2.3.4, you create two entries in a zone, say
rbl.madduck.net (which happens to be one btw...)

4.3.2.1 IN A 127.0.0.2
        IN TXT "use a proper relay, will ya?"

the existence of an A record tells the MTA to bounce, 127.0.0.2 is just
what MAPS used and so everyone copied that, and the TXT will be part of
the bounce message.

> (I can't filter on IPs anyways since 99.99% of my mail comes out of
> pony-express.cs.rit.edu due to my .forward file there, if you use
> "dman@dman.ddts.net" it will go straight to my machine)

yeah, that sucks. i am sure that there are tools out there who'd do that
for you from procmail. sure, they can't SMTP-refuse, but whatever...

and if that fails, Mail::Audit plus the rbltest tool will make writing
one rather easy...

> | why can't you block with exim system-wide?
>
> You can setup various thing in exim's main config, or install a system
> filter (which can do stuff a user's filter can't such as 'fail').  I
> haven't gotten into the details of a system filter yet.

i am working on the same thing for postfix :)

> | and dman said that exim can incorporate your own filters on a user
> | basis...
>
> Yes -- I've got both ~/.exim/filter, which is the filter file for
> messages to be delivered to me, and ~/.exim/bouncelist which is a list
> of regexes for rejecting senders (that exim, not my filter file,
> checks).

that *is* pretty nice...

oxymoron: micro$oft works