Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:27:13PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
> | Where is there a HOWTO or tutorial on using available tools (e.g.
> | procmail) to filter spam? Is it something that the "unwashed masses"
> | like myself can learn to do?
>
> If you would like, I can send you what I have.
>
> I made a script I that given a message on stdin will append the
> address in the From: header to a file.  I also have a mutt macro that
> invokes this script (and flags the message for deletion) with a single
> key press.  This part is just to reduce the effort required to
> blacklist someone.  I have exim setup to check that file against
> sender addresses and return a failure notice (instead of delivering)
> any address that is blacklisted.  It is really a simple setup (just
> several components).
>
> When I see some spam that hits my inbox, I press F12 and it goes away
> forever :-).

OK, so, could you post your scripts? That might be very helpful for
others.

Another question: you check in exim if that sender is a spam-address.
How exactly does that work? Do you just check the headers and then
deny transport for that mail (not receiving the body at all) or do you
receive the whole mail and send another one as failure notice to the
sender of the spam?

Thanks!

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097