problems with apt overwriting installs and with trafstats, debian-unstable

I hope this is the right place to ask, I'm not really sure so if anyone
can help, please???

I've been using debian-unstable due to requiring lots of current software
but have run into a couple of problems:

some packages I've needed to recompile to use different libraries (or
versions of libraries) keep getting overwritten by dselect...  is there
any way to stop dselect from overwriting -current- versions of packages
that have been installed?  I -like- getting updated versions in the hopes
they'll fix my headaches (such as apache's requiring libdb2 for instance
or kpackage requiring the nonexistant librpm0 which conflicts with
librpm4...)

Also trafstats won't uninstall.  Or install. And it halts dselect every
time...  *sigh*.  I haven't manage to find anything to even suggest -why-
it's refusing to do this...  suggestions?

Okay, so things occasionally break when using 'unstable' versions.  There
-should- be a way to recover somehow, right?

incidentally I -am- a programmer.  Just not very familiar with debian
packaging system (I'm a mandrake convertee :).

Also a quick niggle - is there any way to speed up apt's local
installation database search?  Everything's so convoluted in dependancies
I'm at 315462 files and directories installed *ow* and it takes up to -5-
minutes on my wee little celeron 400 to search before installing anything.
maybe I should just quit trying to do updates *deep sigh*