Re: problems with apt overwriting installs and with trafstats, debian-unstable

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 04:17:39PM -0800, Teunis Peters wrote:
> I hope this is the right place to ask, I'm not really sure so if anyone
> can help, please???
>
> I've been using debian-unstable due to requiring lots of current software
> but have run into a couple of problems:
>
> some packages I've needed to recompile to use different libraries (or
> versions of libraries) keep getting overwritten by dselect...

If you recompile something, either put it in /usr/local or put it on
hold ('=' in dselect).

> Also trafstats won't uninstall.  Or install. And it halts dselect every
> time...  *sigh*.  I haven't manage to find anything to even suggest -why-
> it's refusing to do this...  suggestions?

  http://bugs.debian.org/trafstats

The package is pretty buggy at the moment ... it *is* possible to
recover, but difficult. Try these steps:

  * Edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/trafstats.config and remove the line
    referring to trafstats/nodaemon.

  * Do the same to /var/lib/dpkg/info/trafstats.postinst.

  * Edit /etc/init.d/trafstats and add '|| true' to the end of the line
    starting with 'unset'.

  * Run 'dpkg --configure trafstats'.

> Also a quick niggle - is there any way to speed up apt's local
> installation database search?  Everything's so convoluted in dependancies
> I'm at 315462 files and directories installed *ow* and it takes up to -5-
> minutes on my wee little celeron 400 to search before installing anything.
> maybe I should just quit trying to do updates *deep sigh*

Um, over 300000 files? Install fewer packages. :-)

Seriously, most of the problem lies in dpkg. A friend and I have some
evil plans to speed it up a good bit. Woody's dpkg is much faster than
potato's was, but it still has some serious problems.