Re: OT: on-the-fly cd copying

also sprach Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> [2002.01.07.0526 +0100]:
> Maybe because they are lamers who are used to crappy products and wont
> notice that there speedy copied cd's are full of cracks and pops:)

i've use nero for years and never had a single broken cd. truly
honestly... nero is an amazing product!

> More seriously, there is only one *good* audio copy program on Windows
> that I know of, i.e. ExactAudioCopy, and that one takes its time to
> grab an audio cd just like cdparanoia on linix.

clonecd and nero, and even adaptec cd creator always did real well! i am
sorry to be praising win32 s/w, but i do have my reasons to be a little
annoyed about CD burning on linux/unix...

> Those two programs take there time to ensure that the bitstream
> grabbed is actually the bitstream on the cd.
> As you prob. know a data
> cd has a whole lot of error correcting bits that are missing on audio
> cd's.

obviously, but cdrdao, for instance, first "analyzes" the entire cd
without storing any info anywhere (in --on-the-fly mode). *then* it goes
on reading the data. i have a 16x burner and a drive that's capable of
24x audio extraction, but i can only burn with 12x at the most because
of libparanoia (which is *not* a problem), but even with 24x cdda
extraction, it almost doubles the time to duplicate a cd...

> For the burning part, some people claim to hear the difference between
> 1 or 2 speed written discs on the one hand and really fast written
> discs on the other hand.

bollocks. and i can distinguish a punk rock recording on CD from 192kbps
MP3s. yeah right. (i can actually tell 192kbps classical MP3s from CDs,
not so at 224kbps anymore, and only beethoven, mahler, and verdi --
which are the ones i know really well).

> Both scanning with cdparanoia) and burning (with cdrecord) can be
> steared from within xcdroast.

yeah, but it takes ages *and* requires 700mb free space.

> > correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the act of disk-at-once writing an
> > audio CD simply writing of a TOC followed by a bit stream? and isn't the
> > act of reading and copying a TOC fairly simple and not dependent on
> > scanning the entire CD?
>
> Not always, sometimes the TOC is invalid, or mediocre and doesn't contain
> the right gap values.

really? that's interesting and news to me. that would account for
cdrdao's analyzing time. i am just annoyed that you can't specify an
option to disable that if you really just want to burn 1-to-1 without
the paranoia...

"finally, we have a president who knows
 how to run the government like a business.
 presuming the business is pets.com."
                                                       -- gail collins