Re: OT: on-the-fly cd copying

martin f krafft wrote:

> bollocks. and i can distinguish a punk rock recording on CD from 192kbps
> MP3s. yeah right. (i can actually tell 192kbps classical MP3s from CDs,
> not so at 224kbps anymore, and only beethoven, mahler, and verdi --
> which are the ones i know really well).

Just to be a bit pedantic: Actually, classical CD's should sound better
as MP3s than punk CD's, because punk CD's probably use more of the
frequency spectrum at once, and thus mp3 isn't isn't ideal to represent
 all the frequencies at the best level. This is the idea of mp3, divide
the frequency spectrum into a set of partitions, and just drop the ones
that have an amplitude below a certain level.

Maybe this wasn't too clear, but... Anyway, maybe because it's not easy
to distinguish between a 192 kbps punk record in mp3 or on CD, I think
the classical piece would actually be represented better...

(Just to become totally off the off topic)

:| Erik.
--
| Erik Brandstadmoen                  |