Re: OT: on-the-fly cd copying

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:13:44PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> can someone tell me why there exists a plethora of cd cloners for
> windoze, with which, given a moderately rapid audio-extracting CD reader,
> you can literally make full use of a 16x CD writer and have a perfect
> copy of your audio CD in 4 minutes, but for UNIX, there isn't one?

Maybe because they are lamers who are used to crappy products and wont
notice that there speedy copied cd's are full of cracks and pops:)

More seriously, there is only one *good* audio copy program on Windows
that I know of, i.e. ExactAudioCopy, and that one takes its time to
grab an audio cd just like cdparanoia on linix.

Those two programs take there time to ensure that the bitstream
grabbed is actually the bitstream on the cd.  As you prob. know a data
cd has a whole lot of error correcting bits that are missing on audio
cd's.  So it takes some checking (and rereading) to make sure you
didn't miss some samples, and that the grabbed samples are correct.
The few people in my surroundings that still do speedy cd copies,
invariably produce cd's with cracks in them.  You can easily check
this by listening carefully or by comparing EAC's or cdparanoia's
grabs from the original and the copy.

For the burning part, some people claim to hear the difference between
1 or 2 speed written discs on the one hand and really fast written
discs on the other hand.  I myself never noticed the difference, but
often stick to slow writing fatasysing that such cd's will deteriorate
less.  But appart from that writing speed should be as fast as your
burner allows.

Both scanning with cdparanoia) and burning (with cdrecord) can be
steared from within xcdroast.

> correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the act of disk-at-once writing an
> audio CD simply writing of a TOC followed by a bit stream? and isn't the
> act of reading and copying a TOC fairly simple and not dependent on
> scanning the entire CD?

Not always, sometimes the TOC is invalid, or mediocre and doesn't contain
the right gap values.

--
groetjes, carel