Re: OT: performance problems.

also sprach Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2002.01.07.0656 +0100]:
> Yes, there's something very wrong.  I can easily do a good deal of work
> (several concurrent kernel compiles, for example) on my 600 MHz
> workstation + 256 MB RAM with no skips from my mp3 player.

:(

> One thing that I haven't seen you mention in this thread is whether
> you're having your mp3 player buffer data in RAM.  Look at the '-b' flag
> to mpg123.

yes, it's set to 4096, which is 4Mb, which is 4 minutes, which is
enough!

i haven't tried with xmms yet...

anyway, something weird is going on right now. i have the following
running:

cat /dev/hda | bzip > /dev/null
cat /dev/hda | md5sum
make-kpkg binary
mpg123 -b 4096

and the mpg123 didn't skip once yet. then again, there is no X, this is
all just console. and i killed about 10000000000 other processes...

> XMMS can do something similar, I'm sure.  Without this, you
> rely on your disk being able to feed data to your mp3 player fast enough
> for the player to not skip.  If there's lots of other disk activity,
> this is not likely to be possible.  How fast is your disk?

i am not sure, but i'd assume it to be a 5400. unfortunately.

> Also, I would move away from kernel 2.4.9 if I were you.  It had a VM
> bug that caused it to leak swap.  I ran it for a good while, and
> stability-wise it's fine, but swap never seems to get freed.  Later
> versions were pretty good, though.  2.4.13+ seem great to me.

jajaja. this is a test and compile system, and mp3 player. the kernel
package is long ready and installed, but i haven't had time or processor
cycles available to reboot ;)

it's on 2.4.17 now...

micro$oft dns service terminates abnormally
when it receives a response
to a dns query that was never made.
fix information: run your dns service on a different platform.
                                                            -- bugtraq