Re: INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast .....

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 11:23:32PM +1100, Adam F. Bogacki wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I recently installed kernel 2.4.14 on hdb, fixed up a minor LILO problem -
> and for a while it worked. I was impressed with the boot speed and the
> number of
> drivers...
>
> 	Yesterday, however, when I tried to boot up it worked until gdm and I
> received the following messages:
>
> "Starting Gnome Display Manager: gdm.
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."
>
> and so on.
>
> I have unsuccessfully tried to boot in via disk and CD-ROM but I always
> get more of the above.
>
> How do I fix this ?
>
> Adam Bogacki,
> afb3@primus.com.au
>

> --

Hello,
have you checked your /etc/inittab? I don't know the connection
between gdm and that, but it happened to me when I incidentally
changed a value in it. Have a look at it -- here's a line from mine
(default):

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

When I changed the value of the fore-last argument, say forgot a
zero, I got that message and one tty was unusable.
Maybe it helps,

andrej