Re: OT: performance problems.

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 04:52:14PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> in such a situation, xmms (or mpg123 without X, it doesn't matter)
> continuously skips on MP3s and it's *very* annoying. i even went as far
> as to renice xmms to -20 *and* rsync/bzip/gzip/make-kpkg to 20, but it
> doesn't really help.

Yes, there's something very wrong.  I can easily do a good deal of work
(several concurrent kernel compiles, for example) on my 600 MHz
workstation + 256 MB RAM with no skips from my mp3 player.

One thing that I haven't seen you mention in this thread is whether
you're having your mp3 player buffer data in RAM.  Look at the '-b' flag
to mpg123.  XMMS can do something similar, I'm sure.  Without this, you
rely on your disk being able to feed data to your mp3 player fast enough
for the player to not skip.  If there's lots of other disk activity,
this is not likely to be possible.  How fast is your disk?

Also, I would move away from kernel 2.4.9 if I were you.  It had a VM
bug that caused it to leak swap.  I ran it for a good while, and
stability-wise it's fine, but swap never seems to get freed.  Later
versions were pretty good, though.  2.4.13+ seem great to me.

noah