Re: man page errors

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 11:08:09AM +1100, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >Yeah, man-db in potato was pretty broken in a number of ways.
>
> Since upgrading, this problem has gone away, and things are much smoother.

Glad to hear it!

> >man-db in woody won't do this. Maybe I should produce a version
> >backported to potato?
>
> Hmm, could be an idea. I think the main motivation for this should be
> that Potato is supposed to be the rock-solid version, and so one would
> expect everything to function without these sorts of glitches.

Yeah. Without wishing to make excuses, I didn't maintain man-db back
then, and the fixes required to solve the problems you mention are
really too potentially disruptive to be applied to a stable release
after the fact. Any version I produce would be "unofficial".

Then again, one of the main motivations for me taking over man-db in the
first place was exactly your first problem ...

> OTOH, with a stable Woody release just around the corner, this mightn't
> so necessary.

Let's hope so. I'd love to be able to ditch lots of the things in
potato.