Re: OT: performance problems.

On Sunday 06 January 2002 3:52 pm, martin f krafft wrote:
> folks, sorry if i am posting this here, but i am sort of clueless, and
> i'd love some advise from you wise people!
>
> i have this AMD Thunderbird 1.3 GHz machine with 512Mb of SD-RAM, a 1Gb
> swap partition on a 20Gb 5400 seagate IDE drive. that's quite powerful,
> isn't it?

Well it might not be the CPU that's at fault, what's your soundcard & mobo,
even with the most sorted latency on VIA chipsets I'm still getting problems
with sound cards @ high CPU loads (specialy when building & compressing).
This can be agrvated by soundcards with problems (creative SB Lives being a
prime candidate)... I was havin' a fight with an SB Live on a dual 1900XP
system 512Mb DDR & a mix of 7k2 rpm IDE & 10k0 rpm SCSI drives.

Ani