man page errors

Whenever I try to view manpages that don't exist on my system, I get the following error:

man: can't open /usr/X11R6/man/man1/bitmap.1x: No such file or directory
man: warning: /usr/X11R6/man/man1/atobm.1x.gz: bad symlink or ROFF `.so' request

and then I have to press ^C get back to the prompt, at which point I also get:

man: can't remove /tmp/zmanBrjbA6: No such file or directory

and the prompt shows up. However, viewing manpages that _do_ exist on my system seems to be fine. This problem is getting really annoying.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

-Andrew