Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

Michael Dickey <mdickey@yahoo.com> writes:
> Seems a silly question, but...  Just installed Gnome & GDM on my
> son's computer along with a lot of the Debian-junior packages. Now I
> find that I cannot login as root - I always get the message "The
> system administrator is not allowed to login from this screen" I can
> do some system admin stuff from an xterm if I su root, but how do I
> actually do a root login and use Gnome as root so I can configure
> it?

You probably don't want to use GNOME as root; the GNOME stuff does a
lot of strange and mystical stuff, and in general you want to do as
little as possible (and things you understand!) when being root.
Running a small number of commands in an su session in an xterm is
reasonable, as is running individual commands using sudo.  If you must
log in as root, a sensible place to do it is from a console login
(press Ctrl+Alt+F1), or by booting your machine into single-user mode
if you're particularly hosed.

	-- Abra Mitchell