Re: Installing Woody via adsl

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:00:57PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:05:46PM +0100, Antonio wrote:
> | Is there a way to net-install Woody (or sid) via ADSL? I don't have a direct
> | ethernet connection, but installing via ADSL would solve me a couple of
> | problems.
> Yes.  ADLS is nothing special as far as software goes.  You have an
> ethernet card that plugs into an ethernet<->atm<->dsl bridge (DSL is
> the physical layer for the ATM[1] network).  As far as debian is
> concerned you have a network.  As far as the kernel is concerned you
> have an ethernet card.  The only potential hiccup is that most DSL
> providers requir you to use DHCP to obtain an IP address.  I don't
> know if the installer can do this or not.

While dman is right that ADSL is usually nothing special, in many cases
your ISP may require PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).  When I installed 'potato'
onto my firewall machine, the pppoe package was not part of the 'base'
distribution.  I just made sure I had a copy of it available locally
*before* installing.  At the time, I think I did the 'base' installation
from local media and as soon as I got into the dselect phase of the
installation, I installed pppoe and got it set up.  From that point on,
I did the rest of the install from the net.

Steve Williams