Re: Lost in apt-get

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:41:26PM -0600, camilo@cancun.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Im still a little confused with some aspects of apt-get and would
> like to see if someone could orient me a little, either pointing me to
> some URLs , or answering briefly...
>
> I dont quite get it, lets say i apt-get install a package... so it
> fetches the necessary files, downloads, and installs them.. but,
> where does apt-get leaves the binaries? i mean for example, i apt-
> get'ed xmms , and it downloaded and installed.. but i have no clue
> on how to launch it.
>
> for example, Ximian Gnome too... im in the process of apt-get'ing
> it... but after it downloads and installs, how will i launch it?
>
> thanks...
> Camilo

Hi Camilo,

one can say that apt-get puts everything where it belongs. Executables are all in /usr/bin/<programname>, so you can simply type <programname> to launch, as /usr/bin is in $PATH. Often, <programname> is the same as <packagename>.
In case of doubt, find documentation in /usr/doc/<packagename> or /usr/share/doc/<packagename>.

Regards,
Joachim