Re: how to print to a printer connected to win2000prof

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:02:59PM -0500, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:

| I know of one such a way and would be interested in finding out more. I
| use CUPS (cupsys). There are fairly straightforward instructions on
| using smbclient to set up a "smb" queue in cupsys in the SAM (Software
| Administrator's Manual) for CUPS. Just search for "Printing to Windows
| Servers" in SAM.

I use CUPS too and I like it.

| However, I would prefer to find a more lightweight way to do such
| printing as keeping cups in the memory of my old laptop seems a bit too
| much price to pay.

CUPS handles samba printing by using 'smbprint' as the backend
(instead of, ex, 'parallel' or 'ipp').  You can use smbprint directly
if you want, or you could set up a filter with lpr, lprng, or pdq to
dump the data to smbprint.  The main problem you would run into there
is if CUPS is currently translating Postscript into the printer's own
languge -- then you would need to setup the other spoolers to do that
too.

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."