Re: /dev/dsp?

On 02/01/02 Michael Jinks did speaketh:

> New to Debian, I probably just need to RTFM somewhere, please point me to
> it if you know...
>
> I'm used to Red Hat's trick of chown'ing certain /dev files, notable
> /dev/dsp and the CDROM devices, so that the user at the console can use
> them.  Is there a "Debian way" to pull off the same functionality?

Hi Michael.

The Debian policy for this is to have the device files belonging to
certain groups, with read and write permission enabled for group
ownership. That way, anyone you would like to be able to access
certain services, you simply add them to the appropriate group.

ie.

[msoulier@tigger msoulier]$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Nov 30  2000 /dev/dsp

If you're not root, and you're not in the audio group, you can't
access the soundcard. Luckily, I added myself to the audio group with
adduser.

Note that you must either newgrp, or logout and back in, for the group
change to fully take effect.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@mcss.mcmaster.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix