Re: Bring up ppp link on shell

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:46:44PM -0500, Jeremy L. Gaddis wrote:
> In a shell script, the easiest way to find out if the link
> is up or down is to check for the presence of /var/run/ppp0.pid.

I just put scripts in ip-up.d and ip-down.d that sent a one line message
to a tty indicating the status of the link.  You only need to switch to
that tty to see the status of the link.

e.g.
echo Local $PPP_LOCAL connected to remote $PPP_REMOTE > /dev/ttyX
or
echo Disconnecting PPP link on `date`. > /dev/ttyX

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada