Re: OT: Type safety (was: Language War (Re: "C" Manual))

* Craig Dickson (crdic@yahoo.com) spake thusly:
> In my experience, a lot of C/C++ programmers know only C/C++ really
> well. They often also have experience with some form of Basic or Pascal,
> or perhaps an assembly language or two, and a scripting language like
> Perl. Nowadays some Java experience isn't too uncommon. But that isn't
> exactly a broad spectrum of languages; all procedural or
> faux-object-oriented. Talk about narrow viewpoints.

Well, some of us also know about fortran, lisp, prolog, compiler
design etc., but it's not the kind of stuff you use every day.

Basically, if you write portable stuff, you're writing in c/c++,
or Java if you need a gooey. Once you start writing in NotC, you
have to distribute binaries, and that only works on MacWindows,
and not very well even then.

And then there's business POW. Finding a programmer with a clue
is hard enough, finding one who also knows 10 different languages
is near impossible (esp. if you aren't prepared to pay them $manyKPA).

Dima
--
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
Put me in front of something boring and I can find a near-infinite number