Re: [OT] Open Portable Document Format?

At 1010004408s since epoch (01/02/02 15:46:48 -0500 UTC), dman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:35:25AM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
>
> | I'm not sure on this, but pdf is just compressed Postscript (.ps) which
>
> Not quite, but PDF is based on Postscript.  PDF files tend to be
> smaller (they're not compressed, just use an editor to open them) and
> include additional features such as hyperlinks.

Not quite.  PDF is based on postscript (version 3).  While it doesn't
have to be compressed, it can be (flate or zip encoding).
Additionally, PDFs may be "encrypted".  This means that it's not as
simple to create PDFs as straight postscript, but it isn't too
difficult (I wrote a simple Java library that creates line art PDFs
without too much trouble).

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |    jhealy@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/