How to limit network traffic?

Hello!

I have a small problem.
I want to download some (debian) cd's.
With my isdn-connection, one cd takes ~ 1 day to download.
That is no problem. The problem is, debian is so efficient in
networking that the download uses 100% of the capability of my
internet connection.
I cannot establish another connection (e.g. browse a website, ...)
as long a download is active.
Here comes my question: Is it possible to throttle a connection?
Can I set a maximum download speed? Is it possible to set the speed
for a single application or only a general limit?

Questions over questions ;-D

Thanx in advance for the answers.

Andreas Maresch