Re: Ethernet

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 08:50:01AM -0400, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
| Thanks a lot for the help, that pretty much answers everything. One question,
| though-- How would I configure a third machine to use the same network? Also,
| is it possible for me to run a cat-5 cable from my computer to a hub, then a
| cable out from that to any number of machines (configured of course), and

Yes, in general Ethernet adpaters are connected via a hub or switch
(switches are a little better, but a little more expensive too).  If
you want to connect to adapters directly you will need a crossover
cable, not a straight-through ("normal") cable.

| then connect and disconnect them as neccesary? For example, if I configure
| the 3 machines as 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, and 10.0.0.3, will Linux be okay with
| 10.0.0.3 vanishing suddenly if I disconnect my laptop, and still work if I
| reconnect it?

It will work fine as long as it doesn't need any services from it.
(ie it doesn't have a samba or NFS mount, etc.  If the laptop is just
a client the ipmasq'ing server won't care at all)

-D