Re: docbook and pagesize

on Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 05:40:24PM -0500, Bob Bernstein (poobah@ruptured-duck.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 01:50:51PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dssl/docbook/nwalsh/print/dbparam.dsl
>
> In your custom dssl driver file put:
>
> (define %paper-type%
>     ;; Name of paper type
>     "A4")
>
> The DocBook stylesheet documentation lists these characteristics.
>
> 'dbparam.dsl' is the right file, but it is a bad practice to alter the files
> in the distribution; much better to place customizations in your own driver
> file. For a start at creating one of these I use one from the sgmltools
> package, for instance
>
> /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dssl/sgmltools/print.dsl
>
> copying it into my home directory and adding my changes to it, rather than
> to the distribution's files.

Thanks, Bob.

Couple of questions since you stuck your neck out (again):

  - What tools to you use to produce output?  I've been using sgmltools,
    but am told jade is the preferred (or at least more powerful) route.
    Also under the impression that one or more of sgmltools or
    sgmltools-light is no longer current.  Not sure which I've got on my
    system.  Hmmm...looks like I've got sgmltools-2 on my production
    system, and there's a zh-sgmltools, if I need to do any
    Chinese-language output (not likely).

  - How do you specify your customized environment?  How would I get
    DocBook to point to *my* customized stylesheets rather than the
    defaults?

  - How about specifying multiple hardcopy output formats?  We service
    both US and European/overseas users, and it would be nice to have
    both US Letter and A4 formatted postscript and PDF files.  Any
    convenient way to do this?

I've been going through docbook docs up to my eyeballs, found  the
Debian SGML/XML HOWTO, which is very useful but not well advertised, at:

    http://people.debian.org/~bortz//SGML-HOWTO/

While it does describe customization, it doesn't describe how to
organize such customizations across a project or multiple projects.  I'd
be interested in ideas on that.