Straight to woody after fresh potato install?

The first of two questions: Is it OK to specify woody as the apt source after
a fresh potato installation (I just grabbed, as someone suggested, the 2.88mb
floppy install image)? I want to have woody with the least number of
downloaded packages.

Second question: where is the best place to get the latest gnome packages?
I'm planning to do some gtk compiling. Which gnome and what (virtual?)
package do I specify to get a complete development environment. This query
has been prompted by my inability to compile the lastest xcdroast (0.98?)
under potato.

TIA