Re: Straight to woody after fresh potato install?

> The first of two questions: Is it OK to specify woody
> as the apt source after a fresh potato installation

I did and it worked fine. The commands (after specifying Woody in
/etc/apt/sources.list) are "apt-get update" and then "apt-get upgrade".
This will only upgrade the packages you currently have, along with any
new dependencies.

> Second question: where is the best place to get the
> latest gnome packages? I'm planning to do some gtk
> compiling. Which gnome and what (virtual?) package
> do I specify to get a complete development environment.
> This query has been prompted by my inability to
> compile the lastest xcdroast (0.98?) under potato.

I believe the most actively developed would be HelixCode's site. I don't
remember the exact URL, but do have it at home. Someone else will likely
post it, but I did find this entry by searching the lists archives:

deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

Good luck
Hall Stevenson