init scripts

Hello,

Occasionally I install a Debian package that I
do not want to start everytime I boot. In this
situation, I usually use update-rc.d and either
stick the init script into a specific runlevel
or just remove it from all runlevels.

This works fine, however, when I do an upgrade,
any packages that are upgraded will put the
symlinks back and I will have to remember to
use update-rc.d on each package that was upgraded.

Since I use stable and track security, this
happens enough to be a major pain.

Is there a "right" way to do this? I don't want
to put packages on hold or anything, because I
do want them to be upgraded, but I want my configuration
of the init system to be honored.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Helmer

P.S. Please CC: me as I am not currently subscribed
to debian-user