Re: init scripts

Rob wrote:

Hello,

Occasionally I install a Debian package that I
do not want to start everytime I boot. In this
situation, I usually use update-rc.d and either
stick the init script into a specific runlevel
or just remove it from all runlevels.
This works fine, however, when I do an upgrade,
any packages that are upgraded will put the symlinks back and I will have to remember to
use update-rc.d on each package that was upgraded.

I did following:
put in the "to deactivate"-skript the 1st line "exit 0".
When I was playing with my X-config, I put
"test -e kdm.deactivated && exit 0" into /etc/init.d/kdm, so if I want to deactivate kdm, I have to "touch /init.d/kdm.deactivated", to reactivate it, just rm it.