Re: mkisofs USELESS #!@!#@*

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 10:43:51AM +1100, Penguin wrote:
> Can't make the damn thing work. Manual is USELESS and only
> understandable by PhDs in computer science, and perhaps the author.
> (As an example, one example command line I found with Google started
> with `mkisofs 1.31' and it complained that it couldn't find `1.31' -
> like HTF am I supposed to know not to put that on the command line???
> There was no explanation of what that number was for.)
>
> Anyone got an example command line for me to use mkisofs and cdrecord
> to get an ElTorito boot image thingo on a CD-R?
>
> Here are the details:
> - /root is the directory where my boot image is, and is called
> tomsrtbt-1.7.361.ElTorito.288.img
> - I will be invoking mkisofs from /root
> - mkisofs is located in /usr/bin/
> - The image is an ISO 9660 2.88MB floppy image
> - Does it matter if I get a warning that the filesystem is not ISO 9660
> conformant when I write a CD? Will that stop the CD from being bootable?
>
> Thanks for any help. This is making driving me nuts.

Presumably your tomsrtbt-1.7.361.ElTorito.288.img file just needs to be
burned onto a cd using cdrecord. mkisofs is for making your own .img
file.

Here is the 'cheat sheet' I use for dealing with making cds. I just cat
this file and then cut-n-paste. Note, the specific file name 'image.raw'
can be anything you want. The first cdrecord is for CD-R and the second
for CD-RW. You may need to adjust the speed and dev parameters for your
system.

#burn cd image
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0 /tmp/image.raw
cdrecord -v blank=fast speed=8 dev=0,0 /tmp/image.raw

# with Rock Ridge extentions (for unix use only)
mkisofs -R -o /tmp/image.raw .

# with Joliet extentions (for windows use)
mkisofs -J -l -o /tmp/image.raw .

# mount image for testing (must be done as root)
mount /tmp/image.raw -r -t iso9660 -o loop /cdrom

# compare mounted image with original
(for i in *; do cmp -l "$i" "/cdrom/$i"; echo $? $i; done)|less
(for i in */*; do cmp -l "$i" "/cdrom/$i"; echo $? $i; done)|less

# all-in-one
mkisofs -R /master/tree | cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0 -

--
Hence, if anything is self-evident, it is this: law is the
organization of the natural right to legitimate self-defense, it