Re: via-rhine module won't load on deb 2.1

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 07:07:25PM +0100, Lucien wrote:
| Hi,
| I'm trying to use a d-link DFE-530TX on my pII 333 Mhz box running debian
| 2.1

slink is _very_ old (even potato, 2.2, is old).  I recommend that you
upgrade your system, if at all possible, and get a new kernel.

| The via-rhine module shipped with the distro didn't work but I found on the
| scyld web site that it was normal ( my nic's device id is 3065 which
| requires a version >= 1.07 and deb 2.1 delivers v 1.01. I have no idea of
| what this means but it sounds logical :) )

What is means is your card is different from the old ones, and thus
you need the new driver for it.

| So I got via-rhine.c v 1.11 and pci-scan.c
| I managed to compile but I get a lot of "unresolved symbol" when trying to
| load the modules (whether i try with insmod or depmod/modprobe).
| I come to you because it compiled AND loaded fine on slackware 7.0.
| If anyone can help me, it'd be very nice

What kernel version are you using?  A new kernel should have the new
driver with it.  I recommend upgrading your kernel to the latest
stable release (either 2.2.20 or 2.4.17, your choice, I'm using 2.4.17
right now).

-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.