via-rhine module won't load on deb 2.1

Hi,
I'm trying to use a d-link DFE-530TX on my pII 333 Mhz box running debian
2.1
The via-rhine module shipped with the distro didn't work but I found on the
scyld web site that it was normal ( my nic's device id is 3065 which
requires a version >= 1.07 and deb 2.1 delivers v 1.01. I have no idea of
what this means but it sounds logical :) )
So I got via-rhine.c v 1.11 and pci-scan.c
I managed to compile but I get a lot of "unresolved symbol" when trying to
load the modules (whether i try with insmod or depmod/modprobe).
I come to you because it compiled AND loaded fine on slackware 7.0.
If anyone can help me, it'd be very nice
TIA
Lucien