How to clear confused package state?

> I downloaded a 2.2.19 kernel and source a while back, and modified
> then built a new 2.2.19_di30 kernel from it that supports my tape drive.
> For some reason, dselect has decided that the 2.2.19 kernel was
> updated, and it wants to update the package
> kernel-image-2.2.19 2.2.19-2 (using kernel-image-2.2.19_2.2.19-4potato.5_i386.deb)
"That's fine," you say, "but what's the problem, other than the fact that you confused your Emacs 'end-of-line' key with your 'send email' key and sent the email before you finished writing it?"

Well, the problem is that now I get warnings when it tries to update the package:

You are attempting to install a kernel image (version 2.2.19)
However, the directory /lib/modules/2.2.19 still exists.
If you have deselected some modules, this could be bad.

This is your last chance to abort the installation of this
kernel image (nothing has been changed yet).

I suggest you move /lib/modules/2.2.19 out of the way,
perhaps to /lib/modules/2.2.19.old or something,
and then try re-installing this image.

Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]

Well, gosh, my kernel is just fine the way it is (and I actually run a 2.2.19_di30 but keep 2.2.19 around in case there is a problem with the changes I made), I don't way it messing with anything, and so I would like it to stop updating. So I tried unselecting the update in dselect (using the '-' key), which I guess tries to uninstall the package:

You are running a kernel (version 2.2.19) and attempting to remove
the same version. This is a potentially disastrous action. Not only
will /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19 be removed, making it impossible to boot
it, (you will have to take action to change your boot loader to boot
a new kernel), it will also remove all modules under the directory
/lib/modules/2.2.19. Just having a copy of the kernel image is not
enough, you will have to replace the modules too.

I repeat, this is very dangerous. If at all in doubt, answer
no. If you know exactly what you are doing, and are prepared to
hose your system, then answer Yes.
Remove the running kernel image (not recommended) [No]?

Well, gosh, even I can see this might cause problems.

What's the right action here? I really want it to just stop messing with my kernel. How do I remove the desire to update this package, while still leaving the package installed? Can I just leave this in the hold state indefinitely?

-W