CMD463 chipset on Dell Latitude XPi 133ST refuses to go to udma mode

Here's the problem... since I upgraded to the 2.4 kernel on this laptop
and used the cmd46x drivers, the kernel had been saying the following on
the partition check:
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
and those two messages will repeat 3 more times in the /var/log/messages

This renders my HD no udma, and making everything slow....
This didn't happen when I was using 2.2.
I'm trying to enable the cmd640 workarounds, hoping that may be the
problem. Anyone know the solution to this?

Calyth
           CPU0
  0:     225059          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       3227          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          5          XT-PIC  3c574_cs
  5:        162          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  6:         19          XT-PIC  floppy
 14:      32456          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         95          XT-PIC  i82365
NMI:          0