Cannot play audio CDs

Hello,
I recently ugreded from Potato to Woody, and I've just noticed that I
can no longer play audio CDs in the CD Rom drive. More specifically, any
CD program I start seems to behave normally, I'm able to select a track,
"play" (that disk is revolving and the time is counted on the display of
the CDplayer program) but I can't hear anything from the speakers.
Otherwise my SoundBlaster16 works properly, I can play files with Xmms
and I have the system sounds from KDE etc. If I log in as root, I get
the same situation. Any clues? (Tried with almost all the CD players in
woody).

TIA: Andras

PS: And yes, I set the CD channel to maximum in the mixer...