Re: Cannot play audio CDs

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 10:29:23PM +0100, Simonyi Andras wrote:
| Hello,
| I recently ugreded from Potato to Woody, and I've just noticed that I
| can no longer play audio CDs in the CD Rom drive. More specifically, any
| CD program I start seems to behave normally, I'm able to select a track,
| "play" (that disk is revolving and the time is counted on the display of
| the CDplayer program) but I can't hear anything from the speakers.
| Otherwise my SoundBlaster16 works properly, I can play files with Xmms
| and I have the system sounds from KDE etc. If I log in as root, I get
| the same situation. Any clues? (Tried with almost all the CD players in
| woody).

Is the cd drive plugged in to the sound card?  There should be a cable
in the machine that plugs into a certain connector on your cd drive
and the other end of it goes into the sound card.

Audio cd playing has no connection to sound generation on your
computer.  You can verify this by hosing your sound setup and still
playing a cd,  I had this situation for a long time before I actually
corrected my sound config.  Also with my dad's (win98) machine I lost
the end of that cable after I borrowed his cd drive once.  It could no
longer play cds, but could generate sound otherwise (IIRC).  Once I
found that cable and plugged it back in it worked again.

HTH,
-D

--

Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.