Re: Mounting floppy. Newbie #61

on Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:43:26PM -0500, dman insinuated:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 09:34:35AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> | OK, Pietro, Martin,
> |
> | I use console mode, but always shut down via 'poweroff'. I likely removed
> | the disc and put it safely in its box before not doing a sync or umount.
> |
> | I could not have done it more wrong! lesson learnt.
> |
> | Whatever.... that floppy can still not be mounted
>
> It is likely that part of it was updated before you removed it, but
> not all of it.  As a result it is halfway in between 2 valid states,
> and as such does not contain a valid filesystem.  Put the disk in and
>     mkfs -t vfat /dev/fd0
> to format it.  Obviously that will destroy any data that is currently
> on it, but it seems as though you can't get to it anyways.

before you give up ... and i'm sure you've tried this, but you didn't
list it in your attempts to mount it -- did you just try plain

mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

with no file system type specified?  you never answered the question
as to whether or not it was msdos formatted, and since you tried
about 3 different types, that doesn't sound like you were sure of its
formatting.

otherwise, oh well.  good luck,

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html