Re: Mounting floppy. Newbie #61

> HI, dman, Pietro, Jo-el, & Sam,
>
> I definitely did not do a sync.  Maybe I did a umount, but probably not.
>
> Why, when one shuts down via, say, poweroff, can unix not do that for you
> in the course of closing things down?  It seems on of those things that
> is going to get forgotten in a rush.

if by "closing things down" you mean shutting down the machine, unix
does that (it happens correctly only if the floppy is still in the
drive).

if you mean instead logging out, unix doesn't, because it's multiuser,
and somebody else might need the mounted floppy.

what kind of user interface you use? gnome has a nice panel applet that
allows you to mount/umount floppies with a single click, and makes
things easier. kde must have something like that too. on the console,
you have only mount and umount.

hope it helps.

pietro.