Re: "C" Manual

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:31:36AM -0800, Paul Mackinney uttered:
--> Gary Turner muttered:
--> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:11:33 -0500, Phil Beder wrote:
--> >
--> > >Where can I find a good, complete manual for C and C++ programming
--> > >languages for the gcc compiler.
--> >
--> > Phil, I won't pretend to have any idea what I'm talking about.  My
--> > coding is strictly trivial.  A book I do find helpful is ~Gnu C++ For
--> > Linux~ by Tom Swan, from Que.
--> Gary, I'm with you! Kernighan and Ritchie is 'the' C book, but it's
--> getting mighty long in the tooth. Considering that C++ is already right
--> there on your system, it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to pure C
--> without a reason. Stroustrup is 'the' book on C++, but it isn't for the
--> beginner. These books are worth a close look, but no longer the most
--> logical starting point.
-->
--> I'm not familiar with Tom Swan's book but I'll take your word that it's
--> worth looking at. Oreilly is 'the' source for Linux books, Phil should
--> also look at their titles on gcc.
-->
--> Bottom line: use a good C++ book with excercises & examples, preferably
--> one specific to the Linux environment. Your biggest battle will finding
--> an IDE set you feel comfortable with. Linux has so many editors &
--> debuggers that this can be hard. Search the archives of this list for
--> 'debugger' and 'IDE' for much discussion.
-->
--> HTH, Paul
--> --

Two good O'Reilly books:

Practical C++ Programming, by Steve Ouilline. Very good for taking an
intermediate programmer to the next level. Very clearly written (The
author also has an excellent VIM book published by Rider)

Mastering Algorithms with C, by Kyle Loudin. Focused on c, not c++, but
excellent somewhat more advanced treatment using recipe format

Other:

Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" can get dense but the book
is an awesome resource, very well indexed, use it for clarification on
specific issues, and over time become a much more knowledgeable
programmer. Published by Addison Wesley

C++: The Complete Reference, by Schildt, published by Osborne
(McGraw-Hill). Not alway clearest, but usually very accessible. Includes
a full treatment of C

The C++ Standard Library, by Nicolai M Josuttis. He is a member of the
standards committee. Very clear, very reliable, very thorough. Lots of
examples. Mostly accessible, but inevitably it gets dense in places.
Read it for specific help

GNU C++ for Linux, by Tom Swan. This book is ok, but I think the author
was writing it while teaching himself the subject matter, so while it
can be useful in clarifying a lot of basic "how-to" stuff, its
treatment is nowhere as rich as the above material

On-line help (man and info). Not to be underestimated as long as you
also have some of the other reference material to go into greater depth

A couple of other points worth mentioning. Try to build something of a
library of material you are somewhat comfortable with. Often one book
will give a better treatment than another, and these will vary.
Sometimes having more than one resource will clarify a point which
either book alone still leaves fuzzy. I hear people say O'Reilly is too
advanced for them, but I find their material to be of a consistent high
quality and friendly and accessible. Their 'Nutshell' series usually
assume a lot of prior knowledge so this segment is not necessarily for
everyone

--
David