Re: Can I use a 2.4 kernel with Debian?

On 2001.12.28 18:37 Penguin wrote:
And iptables as well? As opposed to ipchains? (I thought they were the
same
thing?)

You can use a 2.4.x kernel with Debian; there are 2.4.x kernels available as deb packages too, the latest being kernel-source-2.4.17 (that is the name of the package).

iptables is not the same as ipchains, though you can configure your 2.4.x kernel to use ipchains instead of iptables, if you wish to do that.
Look at the Netfilter HOWTO or use Google with a search term of "iptables".

Now for Woody which I see is in freeze. Can anyone give a firm
recommendation, to a beginner with 'advanced' Linux stuff, that I should
use
Woody and not Potato 2.2r4?

Can I compile a new 2.4 kernel in Potato and install it without breaking
the
whole system? What about Woody?

I believe I was using Woody when I started using 2.4 kernels and it worked fine.

--
Andrew