Re: Mounting floppy. Newbie #61

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 03:12:54PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a fresh install over the Xmas break.
>
> Prior to this I saved all the various conf files to a floppy.
>
> Now I cannot mount the floppy
>
> # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
> # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy
> # mount -t auto /dev/fdo /floppy
                         ^
Make sure you typed zero and not "letter-Oh"...  I realise
you are typing this in from memory but maybe just try it
one more time paying special attention to this.

One of my problems working on computers (or anything) is
that I end up trying every combination of commands and
options, *except* the right one - just one of those
"clumsy" people I guess.  I mean to try all the combinations
but from bad luck or clumsiness end up omitting the *one*
combination that would work.

> # mount /dev/fd0
>
> I am away from the machine at present, so excuse my syntax from memory,
> but notices relect such things as cannot find msdos file table, blocks
> ........ lots of verbage, but no mounting.

I assume it was a msdos-formatted floppy?  I assume that you can
read the floppy from a dos machine?  I assume it is a 3.5",
1.4 Meg floppy?

It would really help us diagnose the problem if you noted the
error messages and sent them to us.

> I assume the disk has died. Is there anything that I should try.

Read it from a dos machine and see if you can find anything on
it.  Of course you made sure the floppy was writable when you
wrote it.  I guess you had no trouble mounting it before you
wrote it.  Did you keep your /etc/fstab file?  What does
it say for the floppy mounting options?

> I note that when you copy a file to /floppy it seems to be incredibly
> quick.  Is it in fact written to the floppy at the same time as it
> appears on /floppy ?

If it's the same as other unix filesystems, it might not be
written for up to 30 seconds.  I have no reason to suspect
it might be different.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org