Can I use a 2.4 kernel with Debian?

And iptables as well? As opposed to ipchains? (I thought they were the same
thing?)

Now for Woody which I see is in freeze. Can anyone give a firm
recommendation, to a beginner with 'advanced' Linux stuff, that I should use
Woody and not Potato 2.2r4?

Can I compile a new 2.4 kernel in Potato and install it without breaking the
whole system? What about Woody?

If I got a Potato 2.2r4, and compiled myself the latest 2.4 kernel, and
installed iptables, and then wanted to upgrade to latest glibc, GCC 2.95.3,
XFree 4.0.1 or better, etc, is this possible? Or would I be inviting trouble?

I would like a stable Debian, but want the latest stuff, especially by way of
X since I have a GeForce II AGP (not USB like I said before!) video card and
I would like iptables, a good stable GCC, latest glibc and everything...

--
Penguin
penguin1@dodo.com.au

"Girls are for pleasure; boys are for ecstasy."