Re: power management in X

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 07:47:22PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
| dman wrote:
|
| > I want my display to blank (or "off" or "suspend" or "standby" or
| > whatever) if it is left idle for a long period of time.  I have this
| > working in GNOME if I am logged in and leave the screen saver running,
| > but I want it to work even if the gdm login screen is displayed.  I
| > looked at 'man XFree86-4' and found the following relevant options :
| >
| > # time is in minutes
| > Option      "BlankTime"     "35"
| > #Option      "StandbyTime"   "2"
| > #Option      "SuspendTime"   "3"
| > Option      "OffTime"       "60"
| >

| > They are in the "ServerLayout" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
| >
| > However I don't see anything happen if I watch gdm for a while.  (I
| > tried smaller numbers before so I wouldn't have to wait long)  I also
| > have
| >         Load  "dpms"
| > in the "Module" section and
| >         Option      "DPMS"
| > in the "Monitor" section.
| >
| > Any ideas why the monitor doesn't go black?
|
| Check /var/log/XFree.0.log to see that DPMS is enabled.

I see

(II) LoadModule: "dpms"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dpms
(II) UnloadModule: "dpms"
(EE) Failed to load module "dpms" (module does not exist, 0)

(II) Loading extension DPMS

(**) Option "dpms"
(**) FBDev(0): DPMS enabled

(ok, slap me, I should have though to look at the log first)

It seems that the 'dpms' module doesn't exist, but later on it seems
to say it loads it.  Maybe I have the wrong name in the Modules
section.

| You did stop and restart gdm after changing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?

Yes.

-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,