debian install fails always?

hello

I've tried to install Debian already a few times. I started with the download of the bootdisks of pototo 2.2 v4 , I booted and was unable to use the net (http nor ftp) install. reboot to MDK :) then download the potato 2.2 v3 cdrom. Install is possible, but the net is unreacheable. Big problem , because I want this pc to be router (hoping this time I get more success than om MDk?). I use a cablemodem. My ISP has a proxy-server. when I fill these in during install or (when having installed a cd-version) apt-get, they seem not to be online. (_impossible_) then, yesterday, i downed the 2 cd's of the woody 3.0, burned them on cd, tried to boot, (granted!), tried to install via http, again, same probs. Install via cd you say? he sais something like 'no packages on this medium'??? What went wrong? is is again me, who knows *nothing* about the whole stuff?

tnx in advance

ps: plz reply to me personally also, 'cause I didn't subscribe to the list.. :)