Re: Reading Package Lists... Error!

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:23:05PM -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
| Actually, any apt operation results in that error.  It can't read the
| current list for an update.
|
| sausage:/home/aarons#apt-get update
| Hit http://www.openafs.org debian-2.2/ Packages
| Ign http://www.openafs.org debian-2.2/ Release
  ^^^
| Hit http://www.openafs.org debian-2.2/ Sources
| Ign http://www.openafs.org debian-2.2/ Release
  ^^^
| Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Release
| Reading Package Lists... Error!
| E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)
| E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
|
| What file is the package list so I can examine it and its directory to
| see if it is indeed writeable.  The file system might be corrupted or
| something, but I'm hesitant to reboot the machine since its 600 miles
| away, and it might not come back up.

No need to reboot, just fix those bad sources lines.  There must be
something wrong with that server -- either it is missing the 'Release'
files it is supposed to have or you can't make a connection to the
server or something.  Just comment out the lines in your sources.list
that reference that server and do another update.

(The "Ign" stands for "Ignoring" or something like that)

-D

--

Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.